The name Ladypark is so inextricably linked with the Rough Collie’s post-war resurrection that few could contemplate the name being attached to any other breed. Certainly no one in the Collie’s homeland could do so and all applaud the ‘Rough Collie Breed Council’s’ decision to protect the name Ladypark from inappropriate use for all time.
In 1922 Miss Phyllis Grey purchased a collie bitch of Eden breeding registering it simply Ladypark, and so gave birth to a kennel that was to change everyone’s perception of the Collie Ideal.
Not until after the second world-war, and the purchase of the bitch Beulah’s Golden Flora from Mrs George was Miss Grey able to devote her life to the breed she had studied and loved for almost twenty-five year, but success, in both the ring and whelping box, then came quickly. At the Southern Counties Canine Association’s championship show in 1949, Miss Clare Molony ‘Westcarrs’ handed both Challenge Certificates to Miss Grey making up Lochinvar of Ladypark and his dam, Beulah’s Golden Flora, giving the Ladypark kennel its first two champions a feat which has yet to be repeated. The kennel name directly associated with a further fourteen United Kingdom Champions, all but one of them Miss Grey’s favourite sable and white, and many bred in the Ladypark kennel.
Exhibitors of the day, including American and European, were not slow to recognise the qualities, then in short supply, possessed by this bright gold sable and white who combining his dam’s make and shape, with Eden Examine’s head properties, and many were the kennels who based their breeding programme on Lochinvar of Ladypark and his descendants, thus enabling Ladypark to dominate the collie scene for almost twenty years from 1950, and even today fanciers will include Lochinvar in their list of the ‘All Time Great Collies’.