The London and Provincial Collie Club’s foundations can be traced to early 1906, when interested Collie enthusiasts from London and surrounding areas, including Mr R. H. Roberts ‘Ashtead’, met to establish a new regional Collie Society aimed at encouraging the small and novice fancier living within a 50 mile radius of London.
Under the guiding influence of secretary Mr E. Davies ‘Colindale’ and Kennel Club registered from the outset, its early events were often confined to monthly matches, membership only shows, and members’ only classes or specials at London based Championship Shows including Cruft’s.
STAYING THE COURSE
The years between the two wars were eventful with the owners of many of the collie’s most influential kennels, including Westcarrs, Sandy, and Eltham Park holding executive posts within the London and Provincial Collie Club. During the thirties when the country’s general economic state was at such a low ebb, it was these associations, and in particular the support of Mr Richard Roberts and Mr Fred Bristow ‘Brismack’, secretary, with only one short break, from 1933 to 1956, which enabled the club to prosper when others were having difficulty maintaining interest.
POST WAR BLUES
Post-war revival was initially slow, but by the mid 50s a full programme of events were established, and once again the London and Provincial Collie Club was fortunate in attracting the support of dedicated enthusiasts in the shape of Mrs Lyn Westby ‘Lowerpark’ secretary for eleven years from 1968 and Peter and Lisa Burtenshaw ‘Pelido’ who, over almost three decades, have each held a variety of posts including secretary.
Championship status was eventually granted in 1975 only to be withdrawn three years later after the Kennel Club changed their method of calculating each breed’s Challenge Certificate allocation, which reduced those awarded to the Rough Collie. Increased registrations and show entries during the late 1970s and early 1980s ensured Rough Collies were allocated additional Challenge Certificate, with Championship status being restored to the London and Provincial Collie Club in 1984, when Mrs Sandra igglesworth ‘Sandiacre’ and Alan Clarke ‘Lynway’ handed the tickets to Pelido Laughing Cavalier and Ch Arranbrook Sugar ‘n’ Spice of Rixown who took Best of Breed. The club’s popular Championship Show, having moved from its spring date in 1994, is now a permanent fixture towards the end of each Show calendar.
The London & Provincial Collie Club is managed by a Committee of thirteen plus three officers.
In line with Kennel Club directives the London & Provincial Collie Club has appointed Ms C Arrowsmith, MRCVS email: email@example.com as the health co-ordinator.
Annually the London & Provincial Collie Club’s committee elect two delegates to the Rough Collie Breed Council, currently these are: TBA
Membership is open to all.
For more details about what the London & Provincial Collie Club has to offer please contact the Hon Secretary - Miss Di Collino Tel: 01233 805645